Blogging and going nowhere sucks, right? Of course it does! You put in all this hard work and still you aren’t getting noticed. Well maybe it’s time to change the strategy a bit. Here’s just a few tips on blogging from what I’ve learnt so far.
- Are you Blogging for money? Let’s get this one out of the way, YES there are Bloggers out there who make a full time income Blogging. Did this happen because they began their Blog purely to make money? 99% of the time: No. Those Bloggers who are able to share their $12,000 income report more than likely began years ago, built up followers along the way and THEN began to focus on the money making side of things. Another point to note is that most Bloggers making money from Blogging do so because they create products or provide services that can help other bloggers or help those people in their target audience. Providing these kind of products is what makes most of the money, not from getting paid from adverts, which only really works if you have a HUGE audience! Most bloggers actually care about what they are selling online, its not a ‘Get Rich Quick’ Scheme, a lot of time and effort goes into blogging, as I’m sure you’re aware of. Do you post because you want to make money? or because you’re passionate about something and have meaningful and relevant content to discuss? Hopefully it’s the latter, but if you’re finding it tough to think of posts that will actually make your blog more relevant then try thinking about your audience. What lessons are you trying to teach people? What have YOU got that can help others? What lessons have you learnt in your life that you can share with others? If your primary goal is to help others in some way then that’s where success starts.
- Believe in your talent. Of course a lot of us feel like we need the approval of others to feel like we are successful. To a degree yes that’s correct, your success as a blogger is if people actually read your posts. But don’t just think of it as numbers, if 10 people view a post, heck that’s an actual 10 people who you’ve reached out to! If you’ve reached 1,000 or even 10,000 just remember those are all individuals who appreciated your blog and your hard work. You don’t need confirmation to be able to write about your life lessons or the tips and tricks you’ve picked up along the way. If you keep a blog personal then you’re always going to be able to offer fresh useful content.
- Great content doesn’t equal great stats. I know, what’s the point with all the hard work then? Well don’t get discouraged just yet. If you’re pouring your heart and soul into the most beautifully crafted blog posts and yet once again you’ve have next to no shares, comments, heck even views… don’t panic, that doesn’t mean your blog sucks. Great content + Great Promoting = Great Stats. I’ve read before that your blog post should take 30% of the time and the other 70% should be promoting it. My schedule is only one post a week, meaning I have the rest of the week to create my new blog post and promote the previous one, meaning that a lot more promoting and networking happens than actual blog post creating. Go crazy, try Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter etc. There’s loads of social media sites to share your blog to and make the most of it! If you are doing reviews (and it’s a positive one) send it to the people who you’re reviewing. Everybody loves free advertising, they could share your review so they get a boost in sales while you could get a good boost in your post! Don’t get too overwhelmed by trying to share your post everywhere, it’s a lot of hard work, trust me I know! But you’ll get the hang of when and where to post and soon enough it’ll be like second nature. If you’ve found a platform that particularly works for you then dig deep! Master it as best you can and only use other social media sites as a side project. Focussing your effort on one platform can yield a lot more results than being pulled in 12 different social media directions trying to keep a half hearted presence on all of them all the time.
- Good images are a must. Everything is about aesthetics these days. If something looks good, it must be good. Why write a spectacular post and then have no pictures to draw the eye in, or why upload a grainy image that is as aesthetically pleasing as a radiator? People love to see things that appeal to them. If you haven’t got a great camera and are trying to use your phone for the most part of your images then all hope is not lost. A good picture needs to be in focus, good lighting and obviously good subject matter (what you’re actually taking a picture of). So if you’re using your phone camera then at least wait until the lighting is good (natural light, please) and be sure to focus the image properly. After that, it’s hard to go wrong. Want more tips on creating your own professional blog images (cheaply)? Then click here! Plus receive a whole bunch of Free Stock Images created by yours truly!
- Be true to yourself. So if you start hitting it big and companies want you to promote their products for money. What do you do? Jump at every opportunity? But what if it’s a product you don’t like or doesn’t even work very well? Obviously we all need money but is it worth possibly losing the respect of some of your followers because you blindly support a product that you have no faith in? People get tired of sponsored posts that are bottom line desperate. If you do get offers to promote a brand or product make sure it’s one you can honestly stand behind and support. Stay true to yourself and your values and stay in line with what fits in with the brand you’ve built up for yourself. Your brand is essentially your online presence, Don’t damage it!
So there you are 5 Top Tips for Blogging Beginners! But What if you can’t think of anything to blog about? Help is at hand! Yes, there are loads and loads of blogs out there so it can be hard to keep your posts new and exciting, but now there are even blog posts about what to blog about! If you’re stuck for ideas, here’s two links to some great blogs with very helpful prompts to get your blogging on a roll! A girl obsessed- 50 Blog Ideas + Prompts and The College Prepster- 50 Ideas for Blog Posts.
Now this is only 5 blogging tips, and of course there are countless more! Just keep doing what your doing, every blog success story is different, so go and make yours!
Let me know some of your blogging tips in the comments below! You can also check out 5 Blogging Mistakes you could be making!